In the summer of 1946, Waterloo Lutheran Seminary students Eric and John Reble conducted a survey in Kingston to determine the number of Lutherans living in Kingston. As a result, St. Mark’s Lutheran Church was formally organized as a congregation, April 16, 1950, with 61 members. Over the years the congregation has seen many changes. We were founded as a church that was comprised mainly of European immigrants and second generations European immigrants. Now we are a congregation that is committed to being of service to our surrounding community.
Our congregation provides opportunities for St. Marks as a community of faith to build and grow by sharing the love of Christ in the wider society in ways that promote human dignity, respect, justice and equality. Guided by changing social concerns and the interests of members, we do this, for example, through prison ministry, support for those unhoused or precariously unhoused, and through interfaith and community cooperation in areas such as refugee sponsorship and advocacy.
We are people committed to fostering the growth of others. Our congregation has a long tradition caring for the sick and housebound. Our prayer ministry, telephone ministry and visitation ministry ensure that those who need the comfort of the triune God are served. St. Marks Lutheran Church also is involved in active outreach through campus ministry, youth ministry and children’s ministry.